Thursday, August 20, 2009

The quirks continue

So I have been wondering how long someone can blog about their kid and keep it interesting. The answer is: longer than a month and a half! Hannah keeps doing all sorts of new (and sometimes weird) stuff.

Heidi worked today from 2-7, so I watched Hannah in the afternoon and evening. I did not like this as much as the morning shift. Her feeding schedule was a bit different, requiring two bottles and some food. More importantly, I wasn't quite on top of my game. Take this picture as an example:


I don't think I have ever covered her in food quite like that. I love this next shot, and despite what it looks like, I made it through the evening without drugging either of us.

needed that sweet potato fix
I guess that is not technically true - I did give her some Tylenol when I thought she was going to rip her teething toys apart. Anyway, she is so covered in sweet potato because she has developed this neat little trick where she grabs the spoon to help put it in her mouth, then wipes all of the food off of it into her lap, then puts it in her mouth and chomps on it for two minutes. Sure, sure I know you can't expect the baby to not get a little food on themselves. I mean this looked intentional. It was grab the spoon, wipe it off, chew on it. Rub hands in hair, repeat.

Understandably, I followed the food and bottle with a bath. This was my first solo bath. Well, not my first solo bathing, but I think you get the drift. So I got myself a little nervous about it, and proceeded to fulfill my low expectations. For starters, she hated it, which is rare. Bath time is one of her favorite things. After a pretty crappy job of both keeping the baby happy and washing her, I got her out. Usually Heidi coordinates this with having a towel ready, etc, etc. That's not the way this dad does it. For some reason I thought hugging a slippery wet baby and then grabbing the towel was a better way to go. The towel that I picked up and realized wasn't really a towel. It was a blanket. Not a thick fuzzy one, just a thin cotton blanket. Apparently it wasn't just me: Heidi did the same thing before.

I followed this with putting her on our bed with a real baby towel underneath her. I grabbed a onesie before I bathed her, which I was proud of, and used my special technique for onesie application, which I am also proud of (and it's baby approved!). I noticed some sweet potato around her mouth; somehow I forgot to wash her face. But something else wasn't quite right..."Do babies wear underwear? I don't think so. I guess this must be right? But that looks uncomfortable. Do they really not wear underwear?...oh yeah, they wear diapers." So I took her upstairs to grab a diaper, and on the way almost got us smacked by the ironing board I knocked over. Phew.

Baby correctly dressed and intact we headed downstairs, and I set her in the exersaucer so that I could grab a glass of water. She started screaming when I got a few steps away, so I stopped and looked at her. There was some music on (Le Vent du Nord) and I started to keep time with the music, just kind of tapping my belly. She liked it. So I slapped my belly in time to my favorite Quebecoise folk music. I slapped my belly until she fell asleep, right there in her exersaucer. Didn't take long.

I'm starting to get concerned. She laughs when I hit her with a belt. She falls asleep when I slap my belly.

HEY!!! I'm the first person on the internet to use the phrase "I slapped my belly until she fell asleep." You can google search it with quotes if you doubt me.

0 comments:

Ever notice this on xkcd or on billboards? We did not invent the algorithm. The algorithm consistently finds Jesus. The algorithm killed Jeeves. The algorithm is banned in China. The algorithm is from Jersey. The algorithm constantly finds Jesus. This is not the algorithm. This is close.
Turns out that it was an advertising campaign by askjeeves. I wonder if it would work for a blog.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP