Thursday, July 30, 2009

MOHAWK!

Heidi tried giving Hannah a mohawk after her bath the other day. I thought these pictures were hilarious and post-worthy, especially juxtaposed like this. Technically I suppose this would count as a faux-hawk, but I doubt that any fashionistas read the Micro Observer (although I am sure they would love it, love it, love it!). Anyway, putting up the post title made me curious as to whether or not Mohicans wore mohawks. It turns out that they did, or at least something roughly similar, but only when they went to war. Braves would shave their head, excepting what was termed a scalp-lock, which would then be greased with animal fat to get it to stand up. In my roughly three minutes of Google searching, the best explanation I found was that this amounted to something akin to a "come get me if you can" gesture to the opposition tribes, as it would provide a handle for cutting off the brave's scalp if he were to be caught or killed. Supposedly, the middle finger stems from a similar wartime gesture coming from English long-bowmen. I've heard the French would cut off the middle finger (and perhaps the index too) to prevent English soldiers from firing the long bow, leading to Englishmen holding one or both of those fingers up prior to battle in the same spirit as the Mohican scalp-lock.

I certainly hope Heidi's intent was somewhat different.

Rather than leave you with talk of removing body parts, I'll leave you with this picture of Hannah and I. She just looks too cool not to show this to the Interwebs. I don't know where she got it.

0 comments:

Ever notice this on xkcd or on billboards? We did not invent the algorithm. The algorithm consistently finds Jesus. The algorithm killed Jeeves. The algorithm is banned in China. The algorithm is from Jersey. The algorithm constantly finds Jesus. This is not the algorithm. This is close.
Turns out that it was an advertising campaign by askjeeves. I wonder if it would work for a blog.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP